15 April 2013

Sister Parishes - St Andrew's and St Mary Magdalene's

St Andrew’s (Kiyosato, Japan) and St Mary Magdalene’s (Adelaide, South Australia) are sister parishes. We regularly pray for each other and exchange news and emails.

Philip, a worshipper at St Mary Magdalene's, recently revisted Japan. This is his article, published in St Andrew's church newsletter, March 2013 edition.

My name is Philip. I worship at Mary Magdalene's Anglican Church in Adelaide. I attended mass at Kiyosato St Andrew's Church on 3 February 2013.

I was most impressed by St Andrew's Church's beautiful Japanese style. The organ music was great and I was glad to be treated so kindly by the congregation. It was a church council meeting day, so delicious pork miso soup was served. Thank you very much.

I lived in Japan for 13 years from 1998 to 2011 and before that I lived in Japan for 3 years in the late 1980s. For most of that time I was in Tokyo, but for 5 years I was an English teacher on the other side of Mt Yatsugatake in Chino City, Nagano Prefecture. In 2003 I married and moved to Tokyo, but my connection with Yatsugatake continued in all sorts of ways. Besides my friends in Chino, I often came here to stay with friends in Kaioizumi (the station before Kiyosato). Each year I also went to plant and harvest rice at the Catholic Takamori Monastery in Fujimi in Nagano Prefecture.

I am now a postgraduate student at the University of Adelaide. My research topic is "public participation in Japan's nuclear energy policy process".

I returned to Australia on 1 June 2011 having worked for the Tokyo-based Citizens' Nuclear Information Center (CNIC) from 2004 to 2011. I had already decided to return to Australia before the Fukushima nuclear accident, but CNIC became very busy as a result of the accident, so I delayed my departure by one month.

I imagine that some of you have heard of CNIC. I maintained their English web site and edited their English newsletter.

I pray that Kiyosato St Andrew's Church and Mary Magdalene's Church continue their close relationship and their shared journey along the path of God.

With thanks - Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment